Sunday, December 16, 2012

HW420 Unit 9 Final Project

This is my final but may be revised before i submit.


1.      Introduction
 As a future health and wellness professional I am expected to have the knowledge of an individual that has inner peace and can explain the path to integral healing for others. I am very happy to have so much of this knowledge now. It is important because one cannot simply say the way without coming from there themselves. Walk the walk and talk the talk is something I remind myself every day. The importance of being developed psychologically can not only assist others in their psychological development but be able to fully enjoy and shine those loving kindness qualities onto all people that person comes in contact with. To be developed spiritually is important because it helps to have the inner healing powers not only for one’s own health benefits but to help others through prayer and contemplation practices. These practices heal the body in many ways that include physical illnesses. The importance of health and wellness professionals to be developed physically means the individual needs to be a model for their clients and what they are implementing towards others. The physical aspect is the one I need to improve on myself; lose more weight, get more toned for my future job as an aspiring yoga instructor.
2.      Assessment
My personal assessment is that I am generally healthy and happy and I would score this as a six on a one to ten scale; one being extremely out of shape and no awareness towards inner peace and ten being maybe not in perfect physical shape but perfection when it comes to inner peace. I say this because I think wholeness means happiness and happiness in my eyes is no stress or ways of dealing with stress are harmless and are not going to cause more stress later. I need to eat healthy more than I do now; I currently eat good foods but too many of the bad ones mixed in, it is a process that needs to be shortened. Physically I am in good shape but like I said my goal weight will happen faster if my intake is better. I am on a wonderful path to flourishing for the rest of my life thanks to this class and Elliot Dacher’s book. My inner peace is so much greater and I have the tools to really push it into motion forever.
3.      Goal Development
A goal for my spiritual health would be to practice some of the chakra meditation/visualization mp3s I have recently found. They are so much fun because I get to relax completely and I really believe in the colors representing certain qualities in life and the physical being. A goal for my psychological health is to not stress as much over the little things and take one day at a time or a step at a time; I occasionally go overboard and intimidated by the daily stress of my life and that involves work and taking care of my children. My kids are everything and I want them to be happy so I am so happy I have been able to find ways to distress without negative side effects that I could see as my future otherwise. A goal for my future physically is to breathe and concentrate on my yoga practice up to two times a day instead of one. I believe it will really help my in my future profession.
4.      Practices for Personal Health
“All integral practices must have as their final aim the evolution of our knowledge, capacity, and abilities beyond what is now considered normal.”(Dacher, 2006) This is a great point and the author is saying really that we must be open minded before we begin and that is the main point here; open-mindedness is crucial in the development of inner peace. A strategy to foster physical growth for me would be to encourage myself by saying I know I am a strong and healthy person and follow through with my set goals of practicing yoga regularly and learning all I can about it. A strategy to foster growth spiritually could be to try a meditative practice where I envision a loved one that has passed away that I admired or still do and take their knowledge and make it mine, this can heal  a person inside and feel free of all negative aspects mindfully. A strategy for psychological growth could be the witnessing mind concept where an individual calms themselves and witnesses the thoughts passing through but lets them be just that, like watching cars pass by on a highway, they are meaningless but they are there. This can help with a stressful situation or a rambling mind like I have often. I sometimes cannot get my brain to slow down and this practice really puts things into whole new perspective.
5.      Commitment
I plan to assess myself by continuing to use my journal. I really like it and I have always liked having a journal; but to use it for something such as an assessment of my well-being is a great idea. I will be able to see how far I have come and yes I plan to make great improvements on myself. I have already come so far and I am so relieved I have really learned so much that I never even knew existed. My journey has truly begun.


                                              



                         References:
Dacher, E. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. (p.178) Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Amee! I believe the same thing on practicing what you preach. Being developed in those areas are important in order to teach or help someone else understand them. It helps to be developed and not abused in any form because one wouldn't be qualified. I have been far too stressed this term in my personal life and I am kind of having a hard time even starting on this! I have utilized the mp3's throughout the course, I have tried seeing my doctor for my anxiety, and have tried getting more sleep to help combat the effects. But I think I see what needs to be done.
    I am glad to have read your blog to help inspire me a little. Good luck in the future with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amee,

    You did an excellent job on this week's post. I would first like to wish you good luck on becoming a yoga instructor. Working in the fitness industry is an extremely rewarding career. I have been a personal trainer and coach for a while and have nothing but positive things to say about the career choices I have made. Continue writing not only because you're good at it, but also because it will help you find balance both psychologically and spiritually. Great job this semester. It has truly been a joy reading your blogs.


    Coach Randy Andrews

    ReplyDelete